First Team Report vs Munno Parra


After claiming top spot with the 3-0 win the previous week the pressure was on for the lads to hold off the lions of Munno Parra who had a tradition of always giving the Easties a tough time.
The home team looked shaky early on and in their first foray into the 18 yard box saw Armstrong break through to open the scoring on just 9 minutes.
The visitors were ecstatic and their supporters extremely vocal. Both mid fields were locked with the visitors 3-4-3 against the East’s 4-4-2 there were not many chances being created. A string of yellow cards to the visitors was the crack in the teams discipline that was noted as the tackles started to come in thick, fast and above the ankles.

One such foul saw Shane Winter put in a free kick which was flicked onwards where Storti (slightly lost from his right back position) nod in at the back post, that was the kick start the Easties needed. Rattled by the goal Munno Parra went quiet but the home team immediately pressed on when ‘keeper Plowman’s long drop kick came down with ice on and no one wanted to head it but smudger read the bal well and nipped in front of the waiting keeper to nod it over into the net for 2-1 and collected a bruising for his efforts.
Winter was getting runs into the box causing trouble then a cheeky back heel to Ratsy coming in behind saw a blistering shot scorch over the bar.

The half time talk was full of encouragement and after the re-start it took just 5 minutes for Ratsy to finish off a Briggo cross at close range. The visitors were now silent but with veteran Tony Rees up front the game was far from over. A finger tip save from Plowman kept the 2 goal lead and solid defending by Aldridge, Briggo, Ratsy and Saggs at the back Easties had the upper hand. In what should of spelt the end of the game a red card put Munno Para down to 10 men and Easties made more chances. The best of these came from Mozzies run down the right where Brad Smiths shot hit the upright; this was shortly followed by a through ball to Drodgy in the 80th minute but the keeper was out and saved well at his feet.

The visitors were still attacking and after a defensive error pulled one back through Rees but of more concern was the injury to keeper Plowman who’s forearm got trodden on. This is where the visitors looked to go all out and the Easties started to panic against the rampaging and physical aggression of a team that would not give up. On 85 minutes a powerful shot went into the side netting and the East breathed a sigh of relief then played more possession than panic and went through 5 minutes of injury time to take the three points and sit at the top with Tea Tree Gully on goal difference.

The club song was duly belted out with such pride that only a few of the visitors made the effort to come in after the game, as disappointing as that was, we are the East and with 14 shots for 3 goals compared to 12 for 2 this game could of gone either way. But it didn’t !